Christmas Safety Tips
Christmas Tree Safety
Consider an artificial tree (they are much safer!)
A real tree should not lose
NEVER BURN IN THE HOUSE!
Install a smoke detector or
new batteries in the one(s) you have and TEST it. Use only outdoor lights
outside your home. Examine light strings each year, discard worn ones. Fasten
the bulbs securely and point the sockets down to avoid moisture build up.
Connect no more than three strands together. Never use indoor extension cords
outside. Avoid overloading wall outlets and extension cords. Keep outdoor
electrical connectors above ground
Unplug light string before replacing a bulb. Review the original package to verify proper wattage and voltage. When connecting light strands, wrap a plastic bag around connections and tie ends with teflon tape. Never use electric lights on a metallic tree, use colored spot lights. Make sure trees hung with Christmas lights are not touching power lines. When using candles, place them a safe distance from combustibles. Place candles in sturdy containers. Remember, hot wax burns kids. Extinguish candles prior to going to bed. Dispose of fireplace ashes into a metal container until cold. After parties, check around and under sofa and chair cushions for smoldering cigarettes. (Provide lots of ash trays) Install at least one carbon monoxide detector in your home. Have an operable fire extinguisher readily available.
"Safety" gift ideas
Put together a gift basket containing one or more of the following items:
Three smoke detectors and batteries. A quality fire extinguisher. A flashlight and batteries or light sticks. A first-aid kit. A carbon Monoxide detector. A mobile phone. A second floor escape ladder. "Emergency kit"- energy bars, water, battery radio, flashlight/light sticks and a first-aid kit packed in a small travel bag.
Please have an enjoyable and safe Holiday season.